Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Catching Up: Part 2 - Wawa Sunday Fun Day

Sunday was an extremely busy day on the Wawa-front. On my way home church in Upper Darby, PA to my parent's house in Honey Brook, PA I mapped out a plan to hit at least 11 Wawas. I figured I would need to do this probably twice throughout the 30-day challenge to reach the ultimate goal of 50 different Wawas in 30 days. In this post I'll run through my journey with some commentary on each Wawa. Some more breakdowns will come after, such as total money spent & a map of my Wawa Sunday Fun Day.

Note: receipts can be found at the bottom of this post.

15. Wawa Store #213 - June 20th, 2010 - 10:11am
7720 West Chester Pike
Upper Darby, PA 19082
Items Purchased: 16oz french vanilla coffee


That's right. French vanilla coffee. I was looking forward to starting out my 11-Wawa journey on the right foot and having a hazelnut coffee along the way for probably about half of the rest of the trip. However, what kind of an adventure/journey would it be if things went right & according to plan? Hazelnut was out, as I informed the Wawa employee behind the coffee counter. He mumbled something about just filling it up, apologized, and went to brew some more. I asked him how long it would be, got a response of about 5-6 minutes, and decided to go with french vanilla instead of sticking around. Time to move on to Wawa #2, just up West Chester Pike a bit and around the corner.

16. Wawa Store #68 - June 20th, 2010 - 10:19am
Landsdowne Avenue & Manor Road
Upper Darby, PA 19082
Items Purchased: Orbit spearmint gum


Nothing really of note from this Wawa. Got my gum, asked for a receipt (you know, in case someone wants ABC gum and buys my returned gum), and went on my way. Time to go across West Chester Pike making my way towards Lancaster Avenue.

17. Wawa Store #265 - June 20th, 2010 - 10:26am
1000 Darby Road
Havertown, PA 19083
Items Purchased: 0.5oz Reese cup


Time to start being economical. I've got a future to worry about. And it wouldn't be logical for me to keep buying "big-ticket" items such as hoagies and coffees all day. I'd be ridiculously full in addition to broke. This time when I asked for a receipt I definitely got a "are you serious?" look from the high school kid behind the counter. And the woman in front of me who was still gathering her items said something to the extent of "and I thought I was the only one who made Reese pleasure trips to Wawa". Right lady. I really stopped into Wawa to buy a 20 cent Reese cup because I couldn't go on without it and was just craving a piece of candy I don't even think I tasted eating it on the way to my car because it's so small.

Other than that, this Wawa was pretty nice and had a cool exterior. I missed the turn for it though as it sits on the corner at a light and I missed the left-hand turn for it. I had to go up to the next light and make a U-turn (hopefully a legal one) since there was an island in between lanes. For some reason, I also noticed a lot of golfers around this Wawa. Right before I made my U-turn, there was a guy loading his golf clubs into his car and in the Wawa there were a bunch of bermuda shorts and golf polos. Just a quirky, coincidental thing I noticed. Onto Wawa #4 of the day.

#18. Wawa Store #54 - June 20th, 2010 - 10:34am
33-35 Eagle Road
Havertown, PA 19083
Items Purchased: Wawa 0.5 liter of water


Starting to get parched, needed some water. This was a pretty big Wawa, and not just because it's address spans apparently 2 addresses. It was also very crowded and a lot of in-and-out traffic in the parking lot.

Now a little bit of time til my next Wawa as I had to come up to Lancaster Avenue and then down past Villanova. I apparently missed a Wawa right after my turn onto Lancaster Avenue in Ardmore. Either I blanked on knowing there was one there or I just missed it. There was also another in Bryn Mawr, right off of Lancaster Avenue, but I didn't know about it. So I missed a possible 2 more on this journey - but oh well.

I start getting into my "hometown" Wawas now. The ones I used to frequent as a lad and especially through my high school & college days when I learned to love Wawa and appreciate everything it has to offer.

#19. Wawa Store # 257 - June 20th, 2010 - 11:05am
215 West Lancaster Avenue
Wayne, PA 19087
Items Purchased: 1 banana


A couple things of note here. First, I purchased my item at my birthday time (11/5). Second, I wanted to be a bit healthy and went with a banana. Third, this is one of those few Wawas that has an entrance in the front AND back. I enjoy that for some reason. Fourth, I have been to this Wawa on numerous occasions.

Receipts from 4 of the 5 above Wawas. For some reason I put the Eagle Road Wawa in Havertown on the next batch.


Next Post: The rest of Wawa Sunday Fun Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment