Sunday, November 28, 2010

You Learn Stuff

After Thanksgiving I had enough turkey, stuffing (2 kinds!), mashed potatoes, & green bean casserole to last for quite awhile. Over the weekend, I had to combat that with some sugar.

On Saturday I met up with the girl (she loves when I refer to her as 'the girl'), AKA Sarah, and we went to Firecreek in Downingtown, PA with my sister and brother-in-law, Kim & Andy. On my way there, I stopped for a quick sugar-fix as I had been sitting around the house watching tv and reading. I got my Mountain Dew & Peanut Butter M&M's at the Wawa on Carpenter Road near me and continued on my way. Looking at the receipt just now, I realized that Delaware has gotten me again.

We all know Delaware as one thing: a tax-free state. Well, they have their 'hidden' costs and they get their money. The ol' bottle deposit charge trick. Pennsylvania residents - you know when you see on the labels of your bottles (beer, soda, etc.) you can return for 5 cents in certain states? Delaware, Maine, Hawaii, etc. Well, everyone who buys one of those bottles pays 5 cents more for that bottle. So if you don't save your bottles and return them - you are essentially paying a tax on those bottles you buy.

I just did a little research (thanks Google) and according to www.bottlebill.org the Delaware bottle deposit law will suspend on December 1, 2010 and refunds will cease on February 1, 2011. I'm kind of torn on that. While I'm glad I won't be spending 5 cents per bottle that I'm too lazy to save and take back, it is a good practice.

#6. Wawa Store #809 - Saturday, November 27th - 4:06pm
2300 Carpenter Road
Wilmington, DE 19810
Items Purchased: 20oz Mountain Dew, Peanut Butter M&Ms

So after making one of my last deposits to the bottle deposit law in Delaware, the four of us hung out at Firecreek for a little while. Sarah & I then went to the new P.J. Whelihans in Downingtown to meet up with her friend Joey and then we went to Victory to meet up with her friend Kelly and a few others. After trucking around and meeting up with everyone she rewarded me with a Wawa stop. And by rewarded me, I mean I paid.

We stopped at one of the Downingtown Wawas and got a gatorade, pretzel m&m, & 2 reese's peanut butter trees. Back in PA, I was forced to pay a little thing called tax. There was also quite the display of Coke & Diet Coke 12-packs. I was tempted to purchase a 12-pack of Diet Coke just to test my Jenga skills.


#7. Wawa Store #245 - Saturday, November 27th - 10:31pm
100 Boot Road
Downingtown, PA 19335
Items Purchased: 20oz Lemon Lime Gatorade, Pretzel M&Ms, 2 Reese's Peanut Butter Trees

Onto this morning. Nothing exciting, just went to one of the Wawas on the University of Pennsylvania's campus on my way into work to grab a coffee & breakfast sandwich. They do have a unique set up for the coffee station though which is unlike other Wawas. Most have their coffee stations as an island and then the coffee pots or whatever the new things are by the counter where all the food is prepared. This Wawa has their coffee station against the window on Spruce Street. I liked it just because it is different.

#8. Wawa Store #179 - Saturday, November 28th - 10:34am
3744 Spruce Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Items Purchased: 20oz hazelnut coffee & sausage, egg, & cheese on a bagel


Day: 5
Wawas hit: 8
Days left: 25
Wawas left: 42

-Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment